It’s Friday, and I am sharing with Kelly @ Kelley’s Korner for her Show Us Your Life Series. Today, I am sharing my favorite side dishes.
My favorite side dish is macaroni & cheese. But, I love macaroni & gruyere cheese. It is so delicious.
Macaroni and cheese is the quintessential Southern comfort food. Kids and adults alike love this Southern side staple.
Gruyere Cheese Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated or very finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese (8 oz)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1. Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package.
2. In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Using whisk, stir in flour, salt and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture smells nutty and is lightly golden, stirring constantly with whisk.
3. Add milk. Continue to beat with whisk, scraping bottom of skillet until mixture heats to boiling. Mixture will thicken. Remove from heat; add cheese and rosemary. Stir with whisk until smooth. Stir in drained macaroni.
4. Serve with additional rosemary if desired.
After cooking but before adding cheese, if sauce is lumpy, either strain or add to a blender and turn on high until smooth before adding cheese.
I really like this recipe with a crunchy top crust. For a crunchy top crust, spread macaroni and cheese in a baking dish, and place under the broiler for a few minutes, watching carefully, until golden brown.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
This recipe is from Angie McGowan of Eclectic Recipes at bettycrocker.com.
It is delicious!
Other of my favorite side dishes are:
Crispy fried oysters or fried green tomatoes at Upperline
Blue Crab dip at La Petite Grocery
Please help me out in my “audition” for the Deen Team.
Side dishes & gruyere, y’all!